Indian chicken breeds that lay a lot of eggs for you play an important role in the rural economy of both developing and underdeveloped countries. Indian chicken breeds are part of a balanced farming system that plays a huge role in rural households as a source of high-quality animal protein and also acts as a liquid asset that can be monetized when needed and plays a very important role in the socio-cultural life of rural communities.
The actual breed performance is improved by changing the diet and improving health. However, genetic improvement can be made by selecting the best breed quality or by crossing between the best chicken breeds.
Top 10 Chicken Breeds That Lay A Lot Of Eggs For You:-
Miri chicken is found in Assam and, to be more precise, in Dhimaji, Lakhimpur, and Upper Assam regions.
- The average weight of cock: 1.3Kg
- The average weight of the Hen: 1.0Kg
- The average weight of the egg: 38.91grams
- Annual egg production: 60-70
The Breed is reared by the Tribes of Assam( Mishing or Miri Tribes)
The name of the chicken breed is acquired from the Ankleshwar region of the district Bharuch in Gujarat.
- The range of breeding of this particular breed extends to Jumbusar, Zagadia, Bharuch, Hansot, and Valia of Bharuch and Dediapada of Gujarat.
- Average Flock size:- 5-10 birds
- The Shape of the comb is a single rose in color.
- The annual egg production of the chicken breed is 81 average age at first laying cycle: 181 days.
- Average egg weight:- 34.3 grams
- Average Body weight of male (8 weeks old) 450 grams
- Average Body weight of female (8 months) 885 grams.
These Birds are mainly headed or reared by the south Gujarati Tribal communities for backyard poultry farming.
The Busra Breed of chicken is found in Navapur Taluka of Nandurbar, the Sakritaluk of Dhule District of Maharashtra, and the Songadh and Uchchal Taluks Surat district of Gujarat.
- They are primarily white mixed with black feathers on the Neck, Back, Tail and have reddish-brown feathers over the shoulders and wings.
- Their Comb is red in color, Single, small and medium in size, and stands erect.
- The beak of this breed is yellow-colored, and the wattles are red with a yellow shank.
- The standard weight of the cock: 0.8 to 1.25 Kgs
- The standard weight of the Hen: 0.8 to 1.2Kgs
- Average Annual Egg production: 40-55eggs
- Age at sexual maturity: 5-7 months
- The average weight of the Egg: 28-38 Grams.
4. Chittagong (Malay)
They are usually found in the North-Eastern states of India, which Bangladesh borders. These are large size birds, powerful and hardly with a quarrelsome temperament. It has all the qualities of a good game bird, such as large eyes, long mane and tail, strong and refined legs, and a high headset when in action and lowered set tail.
- The average weight of the Cock: 3.5-4.5Kgs
- The average weight of the Hen:3-4Kgs
These chicken breeds are found in the Vizianagaram district (Bobli region) and the adjoining Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh bordering Odisha.
- They are mainly brown, followed by black. Cocks have shining bluish-black feathers on wings, breasts, tails, and thighs. The neck is darker compared to the rest of the body.
- The average weight of the cock: 3.12 Kgs
- The average weight of the Hen: 2.22Kgs
- Average annually egg production: 25-35 eggs
- Average egg weight: 46 grams.
They are distributed in the districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Udalguri, and Baska in Assam.
- They are primarily black with white feathers. The comb of the chicken is red is erected, and large.
- The average weight of the cock: 1.79kg
- The average weight of the hen: 1.63 Kg
- Annual egg production: 60-70 eggs
- Average Egg Weight: 44.42 Grams.
The tribals of Assam rear these birds under their backyard.
These birds are found in the Kolar district and surrounding areas of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. They are mainly brown followed by black. The color pattern is commonly seen in males and females. Shiny bullish black feathers are commonly found on the tail, breast, and cocks thighs. The feathers of the neck are golden and there are no pouches in this species.
- The average weight of the cock: 2.16 + 0.25 Kgs
- The average weight of the hen: 1.43+0.81 kgs.
- Production of eggs annually: 45-60
This Breed is reared by the Nomads of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka and is usually mainly maintained for eggs and game purposes and raised in a backyard farming system.
This particular breed of chicken is famous for its pugnacity, high rate of stamina, majestic gait, and dogged fighting qualities. This Particular chicken breed is very rare and is found in Andhra Pradesh, Especially in the East Godavari, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram districts, Dantewada district Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan. The most popular strains of the Aseel breed are Peela (Golden red-colored), Yarkin (black and red-colored), Nurse 89 (White), Kagar (Black) Chitta,( Black and white silver-colored) Reza (light red-colored).
- As they are poor in productivity but still these birds are well known for their better meat qualities.
- They possess pea combs that are small in size but are placed on their head. Wattles and ear lobes are bright red. Their face is long and slender and is not covered with feathers.
- Their eyes are compact and present their bold looks, and their neck is long, Uniformly thick but is not fleshy. Their tail is small, and drooping legs are very strong, straight, and set well.
- Their Annual egg production: 92
- Their age while hitting sexual maturity: 196 days
- The average weight of the egg. (40weeks old) : 50grams.
- Size of a good quality Aseel cock measuring from head to toe: 28 inches.
The Real name of the breed seems to be Kalamasi, Which means a fowl with black flesh. However, this breed is usually called Kadaknath. Adult Chicken Varies from silver and gold-spangled to bluish-black without any spangling. Skin, Beak, toes, and soles of feet are slate in color. The eggs are light brown. Comb wattles and tongue are purple. Their Blood is thick and darker than the other breeds.
- Average bodyweight of the Cock:1.5kgs
- Average bodyweight of the Hen: 1.0Kg.
- Annual production of eggs: 80 eggs
- The average weight of the egg: 46.8 grams.
The tribals breed this breed of chicken in the Jhabua and Dhar districts of western Madhya Pradesh.
10. Kashmir Favorolla
- They are distributed in the Kashmir region at 1500-2000 meters above sea level. They are small in size with a single comb and wattles.
- Average weight of the Cock: 1.72 + 0.04Kgs.
- Average body weight of Hen:1.25kg.
- The average weight of the egg:46.06grams.
- The breed is more suitable for cold climates and mountainous regions.
Read this: Top10 Best Foods For Cat-
Role of Domestic Chicken In Human’s Everyday Life
Domestic chicken plays a very important role and is one of the most important animal species in the world as it provides a large part of animal proteins in the human diet. Chickens are also used for decorative purposes (e.g. silk or bantams) and for entertainment purposes (e.g.
How Chicken Breed’s Evolved Over the Years
The modern chicken was probably developed from its primary wild ancestor, the Red Jungle Fowl when it was domesticated in Southeast Asia in 3200 BC. Over the years, The Chicken has evolved from a wild form to a number of modern forms, broilers, bantams, game, and fine breeds, including the domestic chicken available today.
The industrialization and globalization of the 20th century have dramatically affected chicken production and the distribution of chicken genetic resources worldwide.
Indian birds are not descriptive and have very little value layer by layer. India has a large number of birds of different sizes, shapes, and colors. They vary in appearance depending on the area in which they are grown.
chicken breeds that lay a lot of eggs for you such as Chittagong, Aseel, Langshan, or Brahma Blood are larger in size than other breeds and have better meat quality than others. India has steadily increased broiler production over the last two decades.
According to the latest research report, India received 41.06 billion eggs and 1,000 million broilers in annual production. Currently, broiler production in India has grown by 15 percent. Broiler farming is considered very important in the Indian national policy and has a good chance to grow in the coming years.
What breed of chicken lays the most eggs?
- White Leghorn. These attractive birds can lay up to 300 large white eggs in their first year. …
- Rhode Island Red. …
- Ameraucana. …
- New Hampshire Red. …
- Sussex. …
- Goldline (Hybrid) …
- Plymouth Rock. …
- Golden Comet.
What are the most eggs a chicken can lay in one day?
A chicken can lay only one egg a day and there can be days when it doesn’t lay eggs at all. The reasons for this laying program are related to the breeding system of chickens. The chicken body begins to form an egg soon after the previous egg is laid, and it takes 26 hours for the egg to form completely.
What chicken lays 300 eggs a year?
The Leghorn is a heavy hitter in the chicken world, and with good reason. The average Leghorn is known to lay between 250-300 eggs per year!