In 2019, dark mode adoption was at its highest point for apps. Nearly every software company was focused on introducing dark mode to their apps. The introduction of dark themes across the entire system on iOS and Android made it easy to enter the dark side. Snapchat is the only app that doesn’t follow industry trends.
This photo-centric messaging app, which many people use to keep Snap Streaks together, finally launched a dark mode for iOS earlier this year. Android support is still expected to be available soon. We will walk through the steps to enable dark mode in Snapchat today.
How to get dark mode on Snapchat Android and iOS (2022)
The Snapchat app for Android does not have a native option to disable or enable the dark theme. However, it is available in the iPhone app. Many Android users have been searching for a way to enable dark mode on Snapchat. You have reached the right place. Here’s a clever trick to allow dark themes in Snapchat on an Android phone. Let’s get started.
Snapchat Dark Mode can be enabled on your iPhone
1. To open your Snapchat account, tap the Bitmoji icon in the upper-left corner.
2. To access the Settings gear icon, click on the top-right corner.
3. Tap “App Appearance” under “My Account” settings to see the option to change Snapchat’s theme.
4. To enable dark mode for Snapchat, go to the “App Appearance” settings.
how to get dark mode on Snapchat can be enabled on Oppo, Vivo, and OnePlus Phones
To enable Snapchat dark mode on certain Oppo, Vivo, and OnePlus phones, you can use the per-app forced darkness mode of ColorOS/FuntouchOS. You will need to have an OxygenOS build based on ColorOS for OnePlus phones.
1. Open the Settings app and click “Display and brightness”. To adjust dark mode settings on your phone, click “Dark Mode Settings”.
2. Click “Dark Mode for Third-Party Apps (Beta)” to see a list of compatible apps.
3. Find Snapchat in the list of supported applications and enable the toggle. To enable dark mode in Snapchat, click “Turn On” when the confirmation prompt appears.
4. Snapchat now to enjoy the dark theme This implementation is better than the system-wide, forced dark mode that Developer Options allows. The screenshots below were taken from a OnePlus Nord 2 with OxygenOS 11, the latest Snapchat version 184.108.40.206.
Snapchat Dark Mode Available on All Android Phones
Snapchat does not yet have an official dark mode for Android. This section will be updated as soon as Snapchat unveils the dark theme in its Android app. You can activate the “forced systemwide darkness mode” option in developer options. This is the closest thing you have right now. It isn’t perfect but it is better than staring at Android’s current retina-blinding mode. Here’s how you can force-enable dark mode in Snapchat Android.
1. Now open the Settings app. Click ” About phone“. Scroll down until you see the “Build number”, and tap it seven more times. Now your Android device is in developer mode.
2. To access developer options, return to the Settings homepage and navigate to ” Developer options“.
3. You have now enabled forced dark mode for your phone by allowing the “Override Force-dark” toggle. You will see that Android inverts colors for apps that don’t support native dark mode support.
Note: Older versions of Snapchat do not respond to forced dark mode. The Android app remains in the light theme. You will need to download an older version from APKMirror.
4. To download Snapchat version 10.72.0.0, click the /APKMirror link and then hit the “Download APK” button. This approach may mean you miss out on some new features, but it’s an option that will allow you to download Snapchat version 10.72.0.0 immediately.
5. The forced dark mode toggle allows you to manually activate the dark theme in Snapchat Android, as you can see from the image below. The text is clear and easy to read.
This is the only way to get dark mode on Snapchat on your Android device.
You can also submit a ticket if you are (justifiably!) annoyed that Snapchat developers have not yet brought the dark mode to Snapchat for Android. Simply open Snapchat and tap your Bitmoji icon. Next, go to Settings and click on ‘I Have a Suggestion.