If you’ve ever deleted iMessages and then wanted to get them back, it may not be easy. But it is possible. You can recover deleted text iMessages on your iPhone with an iCloud or iTunes backup. It’s also possible to use a third-party app to retrieve deleted iPhone iMessages, though you might need to pay for the app.
Also, they seem to be retrieving messages that you can’t find somewhere in iCloud or iTunes (maybe even a backup). I do not believe they can recover deleted messages.
Table of Contents
There are 4 ways to retrieve iMessage:
1. Restore iMessages using Time Machine
- To run this process smoothly, Sign out of all your iMessages accounts and shut down the iMessages application.
- On your Mac device, open the Time Machine tool. Open the finder box, hold down and press the Option key, and select ‘Go’> ‘Library’.
- Find a file (which is a copy of the deleted iMessages) with chat.DB extension, in the library section. It was created the day before the messages were deleted.
- To start the recovery of your iMessages, select the “Restore” option.
- The Time Machine will reset your data to the previously saved version. Any newer messages that the Time Machine did not back up will be lost.
2. Get Back Deleted iMessages on Mac Using iCloud
- Sign out of all the iMessage apps and accounts for the safe recovery of your data. Close the iMessages application. This will allow iCloud to overwrite the messages in your app.
- Select “Go” in the finder app to access your iCloud library.
- In the iCloud backup, find a file named messages from the day before the files were deleted.
- Restore the backed-up iMessages from the message file.
3. How to recover deleted iMessages on Mac from an iPhone or iPad
In general, Apple users with a Mac also have other Apple devices, such as an iPhone or iPad. It can help with data recovery because all of these devices are linked together thanks to the same Apple ID.
If your other device is turned on and connected to a Wi-Fi network, your iMessages will also appear on other devices. Check your iPad or iPhone for accidentally deleted messages from these devices.
4. Recover iMessages on Mac with 4DDiG Even without Backup
The options above only work if you have already backed up iMessages. But what if you haven’t backed up your data? The best way to restore deleted iMessages without a backup is to use third-party software. There is software on the market that allows you to restore iMessages that have not been backed up.
One such professional and easy-to-use software is Tenorshare 4DDiG Mac Data Recovery. It can recover all the files on your Mac’s hard drive or external drive, including photos, sounds, videos, documents, and more.
Does iCloud store delete iMessages?
Find out more about your iCloud storage limit
You can still access your most recent messages, but they won’t be stored in iCloud, and deleted messages will not be updated on all of your devices. To keep using Messages in iCloud, upgrade your storage or free up space by deleting files that you don’t need.